Friday 31 July 2009

DC by Daylight

This entry is from a campsite just outside Bristol, Tennessee. 11Mb wireless broadband in the middle of nowhere... fantastic.

Trek Day 2
After our tour of the major monuments by night, we returned to Washington DC for a day of Museums and other sights we'd not seen the previous evening.

The White House completes the triangle of major locations in DC, the other two being The Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. Obama's residence is, as expected, smaller than you might initially think, but it's an impressive building none the less, and it's good to have seen the home of the "leader of the free world". Barack was out though, which is annoying because he owes me £20. Never mind, I'll get if off him sooner or later. He's good for it.

Museums, Museums, Museums
The Smithsonian Institute is the largest collection of museums in America, covering all aspects of life, earth and culture.

I went around the Museums of American History, Natural History and Air & Space, as well as a stop at the Sculpture Garden. All these sit along the sweltering National Mall and all have great Air Conditioning.

I spent much of my day on my own again, as I lost the group I was with midway round the Natural History Museum. Not a problem though, I'm happy on my own.

Sleep Tight
A make-shift pillow made of clothes stuffed into a bag made my night's sleep far more bareable, and I slept pretty much through to when we needed to wake up.

Stats - Day Six
Distance Travelled: 0 Miles, stayed at Cherry Hill Park for second night
Total state count - 4 + DC
Pizza Count - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment