Tuesday 15 September 2009

A Bunch of Old Geysers

Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Road Trip Day 27
After my first of two nights in what is, essentially, a trailer I woke slowly. It's not a bad room. It's quite sweet really, but I think the long drive left me a tiny bit on edge so it took me a while to get to sleep. I'll have to remember that for future long drives and plan to sleep longer that night.

Anyhoo, once I was up I went to a very popular spot for breakfast for a traditional egg, hash-browns, bacon, toast and an extra order of sausage patty.

National Park Number 7
When I was at Carlsbad Caverns, the first National Park I visited, I saw a "Park Passport". In it you could get a stamp for each National Park you visit. I didn't buy it. I'm stoopid. Had I bought it, I could have got my 7th stamp today as I arrived at Yellowstone National Park. Like I said; I'm stoopid.

Wyoming? Why not?
Yellowstone, the Summer Blockbuster of the National Parks, is almost entirely in Wyoming, but the border goes over into both Montana and Idaho. Within about 2 miles of entering the park there's a unremarkable little sign saying "Entering Wyoming". I didn't manage to get a photo today but I'm driving past it again tomorrow, so I'll try again then.

Starting Gently
Yellowstone is huge, measuring about 50 by 60 miles. With that in mind I knew I would not see everything, but also, I wasn't about to pass up sights I passed in favour of driving on hoping for something bigger and better. So, when the first turn-out I passed featured a walk through some forest recently ravaged by fire, I decided to follow the boardwalk trail.

On such a crisp, sunny morning and having woken not entirely refreshed, this little stroll amongst the trees was ideal.

Do Not Approach the Bison
I'd not driven much further when the yellow diamond sign with a Bison on it came true. I rounded a bend and there in the middle of the road is a huge, almost Mythical looking beast. I slowed then stopped to let it through then laughed it off thinking at least I have seen one as I assumed they were rare and shy. Shortly after that encounter, that assumption was proven wrong.

Hot Springs, Geysers, Mud Pots and Fumaroles
As with previous parks, a lot of what I was seeing was stuff I knew the theory of from my studies of Geology through my school and college years. Also, as before, the theory doesn't properly prepare you for the reality of boiling water, steam, gas and mud spewing out of the ground. Frankly, it's bloody brilliant. I love it. It's so primordial and really appeals to the deeper instincts.

I've taken dozens of photos today of all these different Geothermal features, so here's a few to give the flavour.





Do Not Approach the Human
These magnificent natural Geological features are set in the most beautiful lands, populated by huge creatures. My encounter with the lone bison on the road was soon surpassed as I walked through a field of hot springs I noticed one or two bison away on one side of the path. As I walked further I realised this was a herd of bison and I was passing through the middle of them.

Now I'm unsettled by domesticated cattle, so this anxiety was increased considerably by the knowledge that these animals are wild and the warning signs showing a cartoon man being gored to death by one. Happily, I survived, with video and photos.


Old Faithful
Of course, the one thing I couldn't in all good consciousness miss out was Old Faithful; undoubtedly the most famous of the many hundreds of Geysers in Yellowstone (and the world for that matter). An arena of benches has been built around the star performer and I took my seat in good time for the predicted 4:18pm eruption.

Naturally the Old Geyser did not disappoint and put on the show just a few minutes ahead of schedule. Here's the old fella in action.


More Time
So, today I covered some great sights and the star attraction, but really I've only scratched the surface. Tomorrow I have another day in Yellowstone and then venture south into the neighbouring Grand Teton National Park... Oh, and in case I forget tomorrow, Grand Teton means Big Breast in French. *Giggles*.

Goodnight.

Stats - Day Fifty-Three
Distance travelled - 0 miles - Stayed at West Yellowstone, MT
State entered - Wyoming
State count - 21 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18

No comments:

Post a Comment