Monday 14 September 2009

Major Milestone

Friday, 11 September 2009

This update comesto you from Safeway in Helena, Montana. I've had no WiFi or Phone for 3 or 4 days... in fact I still have no phone. AT&T SUCKS!!!

Anyway, I have several updates all ready to go, but will add them one at a time over the next day or so.

Road Trip Day 23
The Cowboy Room served me very well last night and I woke refreshed and ready for the drive back northwards to Glacier National Park. I showered, used the internet to upload my blog, send email and Tweet. A good cup of coffee and a chat to John and it was time to leave this beautiful corner of Montana behind, for now.

Perfect Timing
One of the "must see" destinations for my trip since I first began planning was Glacier National Park and the famed "Going to the Sun" road. As Glacier is in the far north of the USA it is subject to the severe weather conditions making the road open seasonally, for the summer. It also means the road needs a great deal of maintenance and this year is closing a few weeks earlier than usual to allow for repairs. It closes for the winter from next weekend.

So, with only a week to spare, the kids back at school and a spell of clear, warm weather forecast I could hardly have timed my visit better.

Long and Winding Road
My journey here has been breathtaking. There's something about the clarity of light here which I have not experienced before. There's been hardly any wind around today either and just a few very high, harmless clouds in the sky. The route has taken me along the Flathead River, sparkling prettily beside the road;


Over huge plains, to a wide, shallow valley;


And down to the shore of Flathead Lake, an idyllic, cool clear lake surrounded by charming, valuable real estate pine trees and jetties... and swimming dogs.



Look Out the Window
My lodging tonight is within the boundaries of the National Park at Apgar Village. My room is very sweet, small and simple. Allow me to demonstrate.




I later described my room as "delicious" to Ann, the motel receptionist, and she was delighted to hear that as apparently some people turn their noses up at the room and complain about the lack of television. I further pointed out that if you want entertainment you should look out the window!

10 Men Went to Mow
With the car unpacked I made my way to the Visitor Centre for maps and suggestions. I didn't want to drive again today, certainly not along the Going to the Sun Road which is my next major milestone and I am saving it for tomorrow.

So, armed with ideas for the next couple of days here I took a walk along some nearby trails, all the time being sure not to walk too quietly. This is bear country, with populations of both Black and Grizzly Bears. Yes, Grizzlies, the really big ones which stand 6 feet tall and have big claws, those. Here.

Anyway I found a stick to use whilst walking and hit the ground firmly with each stride. Also, for the areas with more undergrowth I sang "10 Men Went to Mow", clicked my fingers and played "I Spy" with myself out loud.

Yes, I did feel like an idiot, but so far I haven't been mauled or eaten so I don't care.

Throwing Stones
Purely by chance my walk ended up on the creek which runs behind my chalet so I played skimming stones for a while. I even managed to skim some all the way across the creek and onto the other bank.

With all that practice under my belt I carried on up the creek to where it drains out of Lake MacDonald and sat on the shingle beach and skimmed some more. Not one, but two people commented on how good I am. I modestly said it all comes from years of practice and careful stone selection.

Here's Lake MacDonald which is not just good for skimming stones on.


Dinner
I read that the food served within the park was not up to much but forgot that important fact when I selected the restaurant based purely on the 10% discount I'd get because I am staying at this motel. I chose today's special, meat loaf with mash and gravy. It was revolting. Gravy, in any country, is not meant to be a pale grey-green colour... and meat loaf should surely contain meat. I sent it back. I ordered fried chicken and fries on the basis that you can't screw that up. Oh yes you can.

So, I have one mouthful of an inedible meal and half a plate of a barely passable meal. Bad Restaurant, Bad!

I made my feelings felt, left and went back to the lake to watch the end of the sunset.

Goodnight.

Stats - Day Forty-Nine
Distance travelled - TBA miles - St Regis to West Glacier, MT via Flathead Lake
State count - 20 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35

1 comment:

  1. The photo from Lake MacDonald is stunning... Frame worthy, for certain!

    Loving the blog, Dee. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete