Monday 28 September 2009

...Let The Rain Come Down, Down

Monday, 28 September 2009

Road Trip Day 40
After two days in the relative lap of luxury in a room with two beds, a good desk, great shower and good TV plus a large pool and spa just at the end of the corridor it was time to move on.

Last Minute Decisions
When I wrote my blog last night I had in my mind that I'd be going to Duluth today. The idea was that I'd stay in Duluth and go up the North-West coast of lake superior then come back to Duluth. However, that would break the cardinal rule and involve retracing my steps which I avoid as much as I can.

So, I had another day where I had a route in mind, but no definite booking. Where I would end up was decided by how long I wanted to drive and when I reached a town I liked the look of.

That is how I happened to end up in Ely, in northern Minnesota.

En Route
The weather was not my friend again today, with light, cold, rain driven by 20 to 30 mile an hour wind. Now, I know I am going to have to get used to colder weather, but I decided against toughing it out at my first scheduled stop.

I'd wanted to see the headwaters of the Mississippi in Itasca State Park, but when I got there the rain was particularly heavy. I shrugged my shoulders and pressed on.

All the leaves are brown, and yellow, and red, and orange, and green...
The ongoing theme of my travels over the last few days has been the turning leaves. Fall is in full flood here in Minnesota and the colours are mesmerising. The forecasters promise sun tomorrow, so I hope for some better lighting, but in the meantime, here's a couple from today.



Aimless
The other theme of today was feeling a bit lost. I'm not sure why, but I felt a tiny bit out of sorts today, possibly down to not being sure where I'd end up. I've done it before, but today seemed different for some reason.

Happily, I think I have arrived in a "good place". My room, like the town, is small and cosy with no fancy trimmings. And not to be silly, but I did take it as a good sign that there's a bar in town called Dee's as well as a hairdressers called Ann's. On my way out of town I'll be looking for an establishment called Richard's then it'll be perfect.



Goodnight.

Stats - Day Sixty-Six
Distance travelled - 257 miles - Detroit Lakes to Ely, MN
State count - 26 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8
*room switch

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the autumn foliage. It doesn't happen here for a couple of weeks still, but it's definitely something I look forward to!

    I'm planning on hitting Duluth next summer... When it's 'almost' warm enough to swim. :)

    ReplyDelete