Wednesday 2 September 2009

Portland Rocks!

Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Road Trip Day 14
There was a far better standard of continental breakfast on offer at this hotel this morning and I made the most of it before heading into the city to get a taste of Portland.

The public transport system, Tri-Met in Portland is another example of where a city has got it's act together with a simple flat fare covering trains in from the suburbs and buses in the city centre. My hotel is near the end of one line at the Expo Centre and the ever helpful chap on the front desk sorted out a lift to the station in the hotel shuttle bus.

The journey into downtown Portland from the hotel was very informative, passing through pleasant leafy streets as well as some more run-down areas. Even these areas though seemed clean and free of graffiti and litter.

Downtown
Portland doesn't have many high-rise buildings, but the few that is does have are light and well designed. Much of the downtown area is of well preserved or recently renovated buildings of long standing which are broken up by frequent green areas and parks.


Despite having my transport pass, I immediately felt very comfortable and decided to spend much of the day walking. Once I'd picked up a map and had a brief chat with the tourist information staff I walked down to Tom McCall Waterfront Park running along by the Willamette River. It's barely a block deep, but was clearly heavily used by joggers, cyclists and power walkers.


I began my day of people watching here and strolled along the park to the Salmon Street Fountain which is designed for kids and adults alike to play in.

Colourful People
I really enjoyed walking through Portland. It's a very relaxed, cosmopolitan city with more than its fair share of colourful characters. There's a profusion of tattoos, piercings and grunge clothes. There's also plenty of very fit, healthy looking folks... must be all that running and cycling.

I'd been sent some suggested destinations on Twitter as well as many recommendations from my trusty guidebook. One of the more unusual was a visit to Voodoo Donut which is a tiny little bakery selling the most extraordinary array of donuts I've ever seen, There were dozens of combinations of sprinkles, glazing, fillings and flavours as well as giant donuts at least a foot across as well as unusual (and some unspeakable) shapes. I chose a Voodoo Doll donut and a carton of chocolate milk. The guy behind the counter asked which part of England I was from and we chatted briefly. It turns out he'd lived for a while in Horsham, just a few miles from me.

Here's the display at Voodoo Donuts and my Voodoo Doll before and during consumption.



Green Space
Having spent several hours walking around downtown Portland I took the blue line train to Washington Park which sits on the west of town. As well as parkland there are several attractions and I started with a quick look around the World Forestry Centre. It was pitched for an audience of kids rather than adults, but it was interesting none the less.

No Penguins
My next choice turned out to be a mistake. I'd read good things about Oregon Zoo and the Penguin and Beaver exhibits. Alarm bells rang when I noticed that the Penguin area was closed but I ignored them and paid my ten bucks anyway.

I wish I had heeded the warning as it turned out that this was not the only closed exhibit and those that were open were populated by either invisible or very bored, sleeping, usually dejected looking animals. I got quite cross in the end, especially as the poor signage and large areas blocked by construction work meant it took me several attempts to get out. It was such a shame and I can only hope that once the work is completed the Zoo will be as good as the reports I had read. In the meantime I'd advise people to avoid this zoo and save your $10.

Loop Walk
Having been annoyed by the zoo I needed some proper nature therapy and took the park shuttle bus to the Arboretum for a short loop walk amongst the firs and pines. This was much more what I wanted, though the steep slopes here after my day walking in the city meant I was pretty tired by now and my feet were killing me.

I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and took the train back into the City for one last, brief look around before getting my connection back to the hotel. Back at base I ate at the restaurant in the other Marriot location across the road then came back for a swim and wallow in the hot spa.

A Word about Oregon and Portland
I have absolutely loved my time in Oregon. I've seen some simply stunning scenery from the rocky, forested coast to the huge mountains, plus the wonder of nature which is Crater Lake. The volcanic lands were amazing and instantly revived my youthful fascination for Geology. All this natural beauty must have an effect on the people as I have found Oregonians to be warm, helpful, kind and welcoming. I've felt very comfortable here and count myself lucky to spend time in this special part of the world.

Thank you, Oregon. I hope to carry a little of the serenity I have felt here with me.

...and Finally
I don't intend to make this a regular feature, but here's another great sign. Portland is a very cycle friendly city and here's one to help avoid some potentially nasty accidents.


Goodnight.

Stats - Day Forty
Distance travelled - 0 Miles - Stayed in Portland... though I bet I clocked up quite a few miles on my poor aching feet.
State count - 17 + DC
Burgers eaten - 10... sadly, the best thing about the Zoo was the Restaurant.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine told me about VooDoo Doughnuts. He took a picture of his even... With bacon on top.

    Bacon. MMMMMMmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete