Sunday 18 October 2009

Almost Halfway Around The Globe

Sunday, 18 October 2009

Road Trip Day 60
Well, I still felt a little under the weather this morning but a couple of pain killers and a bowl of cereal seemed to do the trick and I was on the road once more. Planning where I'd end up tonight proved to be a bit tricky as the "Closed for the Season" signs are going up all over the area. The cute looking motel I wanted to stay at didn't reply or return my message. Still, it's all part of the fun and as you can tell by reading this, I'm not sleeping in the car.

The Other Portland
OK, strictly speaking there are many, many settlements named Portland, but the Portland I visited today is in Maine. Like the other Portland in Oregon, this is also the largest in the state. Unlike the one in Oregon, the weather here was lousy... but that isn't the fault of the city pre se, more of my timing.

Given the cold, rain and wind I planned an indoor treat and visited the Portland Museum of Art. I really enjoyed strolling around the galleries and was pleased when I identified a painting as a Magritte before reading the label and also correctly spotted a couple in the "pointillist" style and was right about those too.

I growing very fond of visiting art galleries and plan to take advantage of reduced entry for out-of-work bums like me in London.

There and Back Again... 6.75 times
As I pulled away from my parking space outside the gallery in Portland my Trip Meter ticked over from 9,998.9 to 0.0. I've no idea why it missed out 9,999.9 but someone at the labs at Dodge probably does.

Anyway, let's not quibble over 1 mile, I've driven 10,000 miles since I picked the car up at LAX.

TEN THOUSAND MILES!


If I'd started from my house in Lancing on the English south cost and driven to the northern most point on the UK Mainland then back home, I would be on my way home for the seventh time with only a couple of hundred miles to go.

To put it another way... actually, let's not bother. No matter how you compare it, 10,000 is a hell of a long way in 60 days. And seeing as how I that makes an average of over 166 miles a day, I don't feel so bad for feeling a tad tired.

Kennebunkport
I drove through and around the village of Kennebunkport. Even in this horrible weather it was packed with tourists and, I suspect, at least one Texan. I didn't fully realise at the time, but I passed a big house on a spit of land which was flying the Lone Star flag of Texas alongside the Stars 'n' Stripes.

It turns out this is the Bush Compound, retreat of George HW and GW Bush and families. Had I known I would have stopped and hopped out for a photo at the convenient pull-in. George(s), if you are reading this, sorry I didn't stop by. Email me and we can set something up for next time.

Where Am I?
Driving sleet, a late start and a closed bridge all conspired to keep me from making it to my next chosen destination in Portsmouth, New Hampshire so at 3:30 this afternoon I threw in the towel and stopped at the first open motel I found.

That is how I happen to be in Kittery, Maine in a "villa". In this case, villa is used to describe a rather fetching little wooden cabin. So, I have an entire building to myself tonight.

Sometimes it Snows in October
So, I hunkered down and have planned my last three hotel nights that I needed to book and sorted some admin things like argue with the car rental company, again.

When I emerged to drive out to buy and suitcase and then on to dinner it was snowing. Not settling, but snowing heavy, soggy flakes. I got back a couple of hours ago and haven't looked out of the window since.


Please cross your fingers that the snow does not lay.

Goodnight.

View Driving Day 60 in a larger map

Stats - Day Eighty-Six
Distance travelled - 91 miles - Brunswick to Kittery, ME
State count - 37 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209, "Spare", 105, 207, 227, 126, 112, 4, 16, 229, 115, 108
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment