Saturday 10 October 2009

Hip, Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Saturday, 10 October 2009

Road Trip Day 52
Today the cloud lifted and with it, my mood. On reflection, I'd say yesterday's driving was amongst the most gruelling of my trip so far. It wasn't the distance, but the rain and accompanying level of concentration required. Also, for some reason which is probably to do with safety, The Beast's cruise control turns itself off in the rain. Still, onwards and upwards... and eastwards.

Smalltown USA
I took breakfast today in the small town of Carrollton, Ohio, set in rolling countryside and with streets lined with cute, functional local stores centred on a town square all decked out for Halloween.

Carrollton was a sign of things to come as my surroundings became progressively more rural, tranquil and idyllic as I drove southwards towards my first target for the day.
Here's a taster.


Closing the Donut
There are two reasons for my current southward loop. The first is to knick the top of West Virginia. We came within a few miles of the West Virginian border early on during the TrekAmerica section of my trip. Today I put that omission right and in so doing "closed the donut". Let me explain. My route is a loop of America, encircling five states which I have not been able to get to. Visiting West Virginia closes the loop as it abuts Virginia. This leaves Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri as my five "Donut Hole" states.

More than Just a Number
Happily, my trip to West Virginia was more than just a tick in the box as I stopped in Weirton. Formerly a huge player in the Steel Industry, times are hard and the factory employs only 10% of previous numbers (again, thank Wikipedia). The town is dominated by this monstrous, unusual looking manufacturing plant which really caught my eye.


Another very eye-catching sight in the town is All Saints Greek Orthodox Church, which has a Stainless Steel Clad Dome and Tower.


Pittsburgh, PA
West Virginia is just a few miles wide at the point I crossed today, so I was soon in Pennsylvania. Another major American city which didn't even cross my mind during my planning was Pittsburgh. Happily, a recommendation from Simon, plus it's proximity to the West Virginian "Panhandle" made it an easy, and fantastic stop today.

Overlooked
Downtown Pittsburgh sits on a point where the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongahela rivers meet. To the south a huge cliff rises to around the same height as the city skyscrapers. The lookout is phenomenal and with the powerful sky today made for a compelling view.



Oh, and no, your eyes do not deceive you. The fountain at the tip of the promontory is pink. I assume it is to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month and not some hideous chemical spill.


Street Level
Down at street level, Pittsburgh is a mix of old and new, with some striking, though possibly slightly questionable architecture. Here's a couple of shots of the no-holds-barred "PPG Place". I'm not sure if I like it or not.



Home from Home
From Pittsburgh, I headed back in the general direction of Buffalo for my next big stop at Niagara Falls. I'm not telling you where I am yet, I'll save that for tomorrow when I have been to the spots I want to see. However, on the way I reflected how much this part of Pennsylvania looks like the English Cotswolds.


The only clue to my location is to tell you I am in Amish country. Here's a warning sign unique to the area.


Fiddy Cents
Good news by the way. I've completed my collection of all 50 state quarters! Here they are in my collectors book.


Oh good grief, I am such a nerd!

I'll see you for more of the same again tomorrow.

Goodnight.


Stats - Day Seventy-Eight
Very sharp eyed readers will notice I appear to have jumped forward three days. Well, it turns out I messed up my "Day Numbers" a few times. I've put them right, and can say I am definately on my 78th day in the USA today.

Distance travelled - 191 miles - North Canton, OH to an as yet undisclosed destination via Carrollton, OH, Weirton WV, and Pittsburgh, PA
States entered - West Virginia, Pennsylvania
State count - 34 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209, "Spare", 105, 207, 227
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment