Tuesday 13 October 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Road Trip Day 55
Today I left the internationally famous Niagara Falls for the more secluded, rather swankier central area of New York State.
Quiet in the City
The first break in my journey was in Rochester, a mid-size city on the southern shore of Lake Ontario. There was no major draw to the city, just a convenient break and a chance to see more American city architecture. Here's a rather fetching mini "Flat Iron" style building.


Rochester exhibited one of the features I've seen in many of the cities I've seen here which is it was quiet. I've been struck by how empty many American cities seem to be. Even in some parts of New York city I saw near empty streets. Chicago was no busier than Brighton, probably even less so. Maybe I'm missing the rush hours, but still, it's strange to see so few people and such little traffic on the streets; strange, but refreshingly pleasant.

More Lakes
Inland from Rochester and Lake Ontario are the considerably smaller Finger Lakes. I diverted inland and skipped along the northern tips of several of the lakes. The surrounding areas feel well heeled and the towns are filled with large, beautiful houses that I'd describe as typically "American".



The Real "Bedford Falls"
On of the prettiest of the towns I passed through today is Seneca Falls, also filled with these large, traditional houses, a perfect small town America main street and situated on a canal.


As I'd taken a stroll around town I began to notice a number of references to the classic James Stewart movie "It's a Wonderful Life"; Zuzu's Café, Hotel Clarence, a Steel Bridge over the canal and, in the public park, a Christmas tree presented to the town by The Friends of It's a Wonderful Life.

Well, it turns out Seneca Falls claims to be the inspiration for the movie. It wasn't filmed here, but the town claims enough similarities to the movie, plus apparent evidence that the director, Frank Capra must have passed through the town.

I can't mark it down as a movie location, but it's a sweet story and a delightful town to visit.

Southwick Beach
I wasn't far from my destination when I needed an energising break from the road so stopped at the appropriately named Southwick Beach. Unlike Southwick, Sussex near where I live, this beach was sandy with barbeques and pretty parklands. However, none of them were in use in the biting early fall wind blowing off the lake.


Heading East
Tomorrow, I'm set for another boat trip and then head into The Adirondacks.

Goodnight.

View Driving Day 55 in a larger map

Stats - Day Eighty-One
Distance travelled - 275 miles - Buffalo to Alexandria Bay, NY
State count - 34 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209, "Spare", 105, 207, 227, 126, 112
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment