Thursday 15 October 2009

Cold

Thursday, 15 October 2009

Road Trip Day 57
Last night I made a list of destinations for today. Sadly, the lateness of the season is playing against me now and both the Adirondack Scenic Railway and Lake Champlain ferry have finished for the season.

Onwards and Upwards
So, with my final chosen destinations in New York State closed, it was time to head into my next state, Vermont.

I passed through Lake Placid on the way, a town still dining out on having twice hosted the Winter Olympics. The frigid weather and snow covered Adirondack mountains only added to the winter theme of my day.


Brown Sign Moment
I had another, brief brown tourist sign moment today when I happened upon the Vergennes Falls. A pretty set of falls which attracted an industrial centre when harnessed for power in the mid 1800's. Now the industry is long gone and what's left is a town that Vergennes own website calls a "Little City on the Falls".


From Vergennes, Vermont's first city to Burlington, it's largest. I only had a quick layover for a wander and lunch, but again, a quiet and pleasant place visit.

Another Factory Visit
On my trip I've seen Tabasco, Whiskey and Airlines being made. I can now add Ice Cream to that list following my visit to Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour in Waterbury. The factory is Vermont's biggest tourist draw and the presentation is a suitable mix of the founder's hippy ideals and the new corporate owner's slick money-making ethic.

The tour group bought into the experience and we "Mooed" when required and laughed at the guide's closing jokes. One was reasonably good actually...

Q. What do you call a cow that's just given birth?

A. Decalfeinated!


Pretty as a Picture
Just north of Waterbury is the picture postcard village of Stowe. It was getting late by now and the sun was going down which gave one of the prettiest views of the day on my way to Stowe. The sun caught the snow covered mountain peaks between the grumpy clouds and autumn trees. Stunning view and one which made me wish I had a better camera.


Stowe itself was as lovely as my guide book had suggested with the standout building being the beautiful Meeting House with it's tall, slender spire.


The residences and shops were a lovely assortment too and my favourite amongst them was this one with an ornate upstairs balcony.


Capitol Idea
Montpelier is the smallest US State capital city, but it doesn't mean the Capitol Building itself is any less grand than the others I have seen on my trip. Yes, it's smaller than the vast affairs in Wisconsin and Minnesota but it has the pre-requisite golden dome and colonnades.


Tomorrow looks to be a very scenic one as I head through Vermont and into the wild interior of New Hampshire.

Goodnight.

View Driving Day 57 in a larger map


Stats - Day Eighty-Three
Distance travelled - 169 miles - Saranac Lake, NY to Barre, VT via Burlington, Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, Stowe and Montpelier
State entered - Vermont
State count - 35 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209, "Spare", 105, 207, 227, 126, 112, 4, 16
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment