Wednesday 7 October 2009

Don't You, Forget About Me

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Road Trip Day 49
I enjoyed an easy start to the day today, laying around in bed until gone nine, showered then Simon and I popped over the road to Tweet for breakfast. The chorizo scrambled eggs, hash browns, coffee and conversation with my cousin is an ideal start to the day.

Planning
I'm down to the final fortnight or so of my trip. I've also had to rebook my flight to leave a day earlier than originally planned. It turns out my plan of leaving the USA and going into Canada for 24 hours does not count as showing an in tent to leave. Consequently I have to leave after exactly 90 days and fly out on 23rd October rather than the 24th.

With this minor reduction of time in mind, I have decided to pass by Toronto and stay in the USA, save for a possible trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

I've also made a rough plot from Chicago to New York. I've kept a couple of days in hand and have found a route for the last 2,000 miles across north-eastern America and down the Eastern Seaboard through New England.

Baha'i
I was heading up to the north of Chicago for some movie spotting, so took a quick side trip to the Baha'i place of worship. According to Wikipedia, The Baha'i believe in the unity of all the world's major faiths. The nine sided, immaculate white building is set in attractive gardens with tiled fountains. There are nine columns around the elongated dome which feature symbols of various world religions. It's an interesting sight and a very pleasing building.


John Hughes
Through my teens and twenties some of the most memorable movie releases were those directed by John Hughes. Classics such as Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science were set in and largely filmed in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. To me a John Hughes movies means comfort, laughter and reflections on days past. Today I visited locations used in three of the movies which I know almost word-for-word.

The Russell House from Uncle Buck:


Cameron Fry's house from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (the external shots of Ferris' house were filmed in LA):


Incidentally, Cameron's house is currently on the market for $2,300,000 so if you are stuck for ideas for me for Christmas, here's a link to the realtor.

Finally, the school from The Breakfast Club:


The building is no longer a school, but has been converted to a Police Headquarters. Happily, no-one got annoyed by me parking on and strolling around the grounds taking photos. They must be used to fans of the 80's wandering around every now and again.

Stood Up
The end of my day today fell apart at the last minute. I had made plans to meet a few of my on-line gaming buddies at our traditional meeting place of Hooters. Sadly a late delivery, a wrecked truck, a broken engine and illness conspired to prevent people making the trip out to meet me.

I ordered dinner, watched the first of the American League Divisional Series as The Twins played The Yankees in New York.

However, on traditional did remain, so here's a picture of a member of our gaming community photographed with a Hooter's Girl.


Oh, and The Twins lost.

Goodnight.

Stats - Day Seventy-Five
Distance travelled - 0 miles - Stayed in Chicago
State count - 29 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209, "Spare"
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment