Saturday 3 October 2009

Go The Distance

Saturday, 3 October 2009

Road Trip Day 45
I didn't want to leave my hotel this morning. I'd grown used to the spacious suite, view of Downtown Minneapolis and chats to the super-friendly Jaime on the front desk. Still, my journey continues so I packed my stuff and piled into the elevator. Even I was shocked that I was having to hold back the tears as I drove out of the city. It really is a funky town where I felt "at home" right away.

Minneapolis, I love you and I'll be back, somehow.

The Max
In England over the last 20 years or so, a slew of huge "out-of-town" malls have opened. Shopping cathedrals such as Lakeside and Bluewater cover areas of cheap, dreary land on the Thames estuary and similar areas around the country.

Well, as has happened so often on my travels here, it turns out my previous concept of "Big" has gone out of the window.


The Mall of America, in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington is close to 2 and a half time the size of the Bluewater shopping centre... unless you don't count the indoor theme park in the middle in which case it is only 1 and a half times the size.


I made a couple of purchases; a souvenir of Minnesota for my front room and a bag full of Dubble Bubble chewing gum for the next two Twins games. I stayed long enough

A Word about Minnesota
I think it's clear by now that I greatly enjoyed Minnesota and Minneapolis. What I saw of the north of the state is beautiful with stunning forests peppered by the famous lakes. I liked the European feel, liberal attitudes, warm but not feisty welcome and relaxed feeling and clear identity that the state has. I think, of all the states I have travel the change in climate and appearance has been most noticeable as I crossed the borders going in and out.

This isn't a competition and I'm not ranking the states in order of preference, but certain aspects of Minnesota and Oregon will mean I hold them both close to my heart.

Welcome To Iowa, You Guys!
Yes, I got another state under my belt today. Iowa is my 27th and corniest state so far. By corniest, I do of course mean that has the most corn I have seen. And don't tell me that "corniest" can't be used like this. Today I heard the word "winningest" meaning "having the most winning games" so from now on anything goes.

Oh, and not to get pernickety, but I still find it a little jarring to hear "golf" and "shop" used as verbs, as in "I shop the Mall of America because it's so huge".

National Bird
I'd not been in Iowa long before I saw my first Bald Eagle, the United States national bird. I have thought I might have seen a couple previously, but now, having seen the distinctive, unmistakable white head I am sure. It was circling above the road as I drove so no photo to show you sadly.

Churches
I'd seen a lot of very pretty churches in Minnesota, sometimes relatively simple, but all well maintained and attractive.

Once into Iowa I noticed a distinct change with taller, more delicate looking spires, fancier roof tiling and wall ornamentation and a grander scale.


The weather has been overcast and rainy all day so the lighting isn't helping the photo above. I'll try for some better examples tomorrow.

Superstitious
Baseball is a sport notorious for superstitions. In yesterday's post I mentioned chewing gum and how keen the dear lady who gave it to me was that I should chew it. When I started chewing the Twins scored. When I stopped, Kansas City began to rally their game. I started chewing again and their rally petered out. I have taken this to heart and today as I drove listening to the game I chomped away on pieces of Dubble Bubble I'd bought at the Mall this morning.

As the radio reception faded I continued chewing (an aching jaw is a small price to pay for a Twins victory). I didn't find out the score till much later. The Twins won!

Read into that what you will.

If You Build It, They Will Come
Since I first saw Field of Dreams it has been a consistent feature when I talk about "comfort movies". It's a great story, very sweet and uplifting without being overly sentimental. Plus it centres on Baseball and the diamond built by our hero Ray on his farm.

Set and filmed in Iowa before the when producers would use computer generated images, a real baseball diamond was built in a cornfield by a farmhouse. The field was complete with floodlights, small bleachers, back fence and pitchers mound. The edge of the field was where the corn ended and the grassy outfield started.

It was with more than a little excitement that I learned this field still exists, almost entirely unchanged from when it was filmed. The field has been maintained, the corn still ends just at the edge of the field and save for a interpretive display board, discrete souvenir shop and sign on the picket fence it is exactly as I know it from dozens of viewings.


Today I went to the Field of Dreams, took photos, ran the bases like Kevin Costner did, "disappeared" into the corn and even played catch with a couple who had brought their gloves along too. My thanks go to Jeff and Karen for playing catch with me and taking my photo in all the right places.


Prime Rib, Apple Pie and Conversation
I've seen "Prime Rib" on the menu and specials boards of many restaurants, and as it was on offer tonight at the Country Junction I decided to give it a try. I've only hesitated because I haven't really known what it was. Turns out it's a particularly tender and flavoursome cut of beef. Very enjoyable, as was the apple pie I had for dessert.

I usually skip dessert, but when my kind waitress reeled off the vast array of pies available tonight I realised I have been in America and not had a simple Apple Pie.

Actually, I realise I am wrong. I had apple pie in New York, but no matter, the pie tonight was lovely.

My dinner was also enriched by a good old natter with a fellow lone diner. It turns out my impromptu dining companion had also been in Minneapolis, for business and had taken an extra couple of days in the area to visit Iowa. As well as a good chat, I've picked up some local destination tips which I may incorporate into my schedule tomorrow, weather and travel deadlines permitting. Thank you, Rita.

More Roadside America News
Regular readers will know that as well as visiting some of the locations highlighted on the Roadside America website, I found one of my own and submitted it to the site for inclusion.

I am proud to say my suggestion has been accepted and the "King of Meats" statue in Minatare, Nebraska is now included.

Goodnight.

View Driving Day 45 in a larger map


Stats - Day Seventy-One
Distance travelled - 253 miles - Minneapolis, MN to Dyersville, IA
State entered - Iowa
State count - 27 + DC + B.C.
Room numbers stayed in - 203, 1, 148, 212, 205, 210, 246, 118, 3, 145, 229, 111, 207, 206, 40, 605, "Cowboy", 35, 11, 18, 262, 216, 208, 430, 216, 59, 226, 115 / 110*, 309, 30, 8, 255, 428, 209
*room switch

No comments:

Post a Comment